Obligatory Caena photo. Later this fall, we'll finish the fence up the right side and then she won't need the run lead anymore.
I cleared out a lot of weeds, dead stuff and morning glory vines from the front garden last week. Then it started raining.
2.5 days of rain have done wonders for the back hill. The bottom is nearly covered in wild violets and is now starting to creep up the hill itself.
The Ajuga is managing to reestablish itself and get bigger, despite being mowed down by Mark a few months back. Eventually, it'll take over that side of the back hill, at least along the bottom. Best volunteer ground cover ever.
We're working on rebuilding the fire pit. The large, tan rock at the bottom of the photo, my dad gave me from his rock garden up in Michigan. The other large rocks came from the mountains here. We figure we need 4-5 more of that size to complete it. Then I can use the smaller rocks elsewhere. Obviously it works great.}:P
I direct sowed some red Hollyhock seeds that I got last summer from my dad's garden up in Michigan, back in late May. 5 sprouted and after I cleared out the dead tomato vines, I transplanted them to the raised bed.
The ^%&%&^$%^ rats and field mice have finally
decided to seek greener pastures and now the poor rhubarb is starting to come back. We plan to build a new, deeper, raised bed in a sunnier location, so it'll be transplanted next spring. The ground here at the back of the house is hard packed, full of clay and shale- rather like the back hill, which is nearly entirely shale, except at the very top where I'd built up a brick bed on one side and a border along the back, then filled with reasonably good dirt.
The bronze fennel didn't particularly care for the extra high temps this year, either and is looking very bedraggled. It'll be transplanted next spring as well.
In fact, the only thing that grew exceedingly well in that bed this year, was the garlic chives. They even have seed heads on them. I can't use them fast enough, so they tend to simply look nice instead.
We moved the compost bin up the hill where the shale would make it hard for the rats to tunnel through (they liked to use the bin as an egress to the bird feeders, because it would protect them from the resident hawk) and where it's in more full sun throughout the day. In the remaining compost pile, volunteer tomato plants started and are now nearly a foot tall. We'll see if I can overwinter them.
The wisteria went nuts on the fence. It kept sending out new growth and blooms all summer, vines that needed to be trained back into itself or along the fence. I'm training it to grow towards the old metal fence on that side, where the honeysuckle is- that's bouncing back after half of it was killed by the landscapers/handymen working next door. So far, I've managed to keep it exactly where I want it.
The thought is to build a pergola and patio behind the front porch, where the current raised bed is. I don't want the wisteria to grow on it though, as it'd then have easy access to the house. So I'm thinking more clematis there instead. ( On to the front gardens )